Background

Monday, November 16, 2015

Son of Magazine Challenge: Cheesy Hash Brown Bake

So.
I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned in the past that the only thing my husband makes when I'm here is chili.  He likes to start with the Wick Fowler 2 Alarm Chili Kit and "makes it [his] own" by having me chop an onion to toss in along with a drained can of kidney beans.  It's really good, and thankfully makes enough for a couple of meals plus lunch for me for a couple of days.
The last time, however, I asked J if we could make this with the leftovers of the chili, and we actually ate this the next 2 days for lunch.  It's that good.  Trust me.
So if you're looking for something to do with the leftover chili from your last tailgate, and want a new twist on something delicious, might I suggest this?  It won't be the last time we try it around here.
From the March 2007 issue of Everyday Food, I present to you now Cheesy Hasbrown Bake:

Ingredients:
1 cup leftover chili per serving
4 oz shredded hash browns per serving
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp chopped parsley

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 425F.  In individual bowls, place 1 cup of chili before placing on a baking sheet for the oven (I used oven safe soup bowls).
2.  In a medium bowl, toss cheese, potatoes and parsley.  If using frozen potatoes, thaw and squeeze out as much water as possible before using.
3.  Spread potato mixture over chili, dividing evenly.  Bake bowls at 425F for 20 to 25 minutes, until potatoes are golden and chili is bubbling.
From Everyday Food, March 2007

If you're looking for a fast way to repurpose leftovers, look no further.  This is a 30 minute start to table meal.  I bought a 1 pound package of refrigerated hashbrowns, and had 2 meals together in a flash.
I want to say Martha uses the word "scatter" for how to put on the topping, but I covered completely, and scatter makes me think of bread crumbs.  With shredded potatoes, this would get messy.
Ready for the oven!  There's not a ton of cheese in this, but there's enough.  The potato topping also means that there's no need for bread.
And here it is, ready to eat.  We topped it with a little sour cream and enjoyed.  I know we'll try this again with our next batch of chili too.

No comments:

Post a Comment