Background

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Breakfast on the Run: Breakfast Sunshine Cake

So.
I'm always on the lookout for good, easy recipes to include in my repertoire.  Good is key.  Easy makes things even better.  While I do draw a great deal of inspiration from Everyday Food and Pinterest, I have found the 2015 Milk Calendar to actually be quite useful.
The Milk Calendar is often hit or miss for me.  Either it's things that just don't look tasty, or they use ingredients I don't buy, or they're for things that I already make and like the recipe I have.  This year, there have been a variety of things that I've made and enjoyed.
I've been trying the Bake It Easy recipes from the front matter of the calendar recently.  Muffins and so forth are always up my alley:  easy to freeze and take in my lunch or eat for breakfast.  I saw this cake and thought it sounded delicious.  I also needed to find a use for the shredded zucchini in my freezer, and thought that this would be a way to use it up before I end up with more shredded zucchini in my freezer for next year.
This is really good, and smells so yummy while baking.  I just don't recommend leaving it in an airtight container on your counter too long.  I think the last couple of pieces fermented before J and I could eat them.  Fermented cake is not really what you want to eat for breakfast.  But vegetables are, and when they're in cake form, how could they possibly be bad?
I present to you now from the 2015 Milk Calendar Breakfast Sunshine Cake:

Ingredients:
1-1/2 c flour
2 Tbsp wheat germ
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 c milk
1/4 c brown sugar, packed
1/4 c butter, melted
1/4 c molasses
1 egg
2 c total coarsely grated carrot and zucchini
1/2 c raisins
1/2 c walnuts, chopped
1/2 c desiccated coconut
Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 375F.  Grease an 8" square cake pan.
2.  In a large bowl, stir together flour, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.  In a second bowl, whisk together milk, brown sugar, butter, molasses and egg.  Pour over dry ingredients and stir well.  Add remaining ingredients, and stir until all moistened.
3.  Scrape into prepared pan and smooth top.  Bake at 375F for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool in pan on a rack.

From 2015 Milk Calendar

 Have I mentioned recently how much I love these Pyrex bowls?  There are 3 of them, and they're perfect for this sort of thing.  If you're using frozen zucchini, drain well before adding.  There will be a lot of water that drains off when it's thawed.
The batter is very thick, so don't overmix, but you want to be sure that you distribute all the goodies evenly.  I actually used a 9" pan.  It still took 35 minutes to bake in my oven - and things always finish quickly in a convection.
Here was my breakfast for a few days!  It's essentially muffin in cake form, and very moist and delicious.  Just freeze it or finish it before it ferments on the counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment