Background

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Got Milk? 6: Lemon BonBon Cookies

So.
J and I have been away.  On vacation.  And not together.
Yes, after 8 years of marriage, my husband and I took separate vacations.  He went to visit friends in South Carolina and do some audio geek stuff, and I went away with my mom on a bus trip.  We both had a great time, and it was all good, but it also meant that I got to do something that I never get to do - spend time in the house by myself.
I miss time alone.  With a husband who doesn't drive and who is home during the day, he usually goes out in the evenings or on the weekends with me.  I spend little to no time by myself in the house with just the cats as company.  This was a chance to do just that, and it was blissful.  I had one night to myself, and as I announced on Facebook, I managed to meal plan for J and I, and for mom and I but not for just me.  Maybe it's just as well that I don't spend much time alone.  But one thing that I did make was a batch of cookies so Mom and I would have dessert.
I turned to my Taste of Home cookie magazine for something different that we might enjoy.  I happened upon these lemony cookies a while ago, and finally decided it was time.  They're totally worth it.  Trust me.  They freeze well, too.  And it's not a huge batch, either.  2 dozen cookies aren't a lot, because these melt on your tongue.  Mmmmm...perhaps I need to go and find myself one or two now.
I present to you now from Linda Nicholson from Palatka, Florida's Lemony Bonbon Cookies:

Ingredients:
1/2 c butter, softened
1/3 c icing sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
3/4 c flour
1/3 c cornstarch
24 pecan halves
For the Icing:
1-1/4 c icing sugar
1-1/2 tsp butter
3-4 tsp lemon juice

Method:
1.  In a small bowl, combine flour and cornstarch and set aside.  In a second bowl, cream butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon juice.  Gradually add flour mixture to creamed mixture.  Roll into a ball, wrap in saran wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
2.  Preheat oven to 350F.  On 2 baking sheets, lay out 24 pecan halves, 12 per sheet.  Divide chilled dough into 24 equal sized pieces and form into balls.  Top each pecan half with a ball of dough.  Flatten the dough over the pecan with the palm of your hand.
3.  Bake cookies at 350F for 12 minutes, until golden.  Remove to wire racks and cool completely before icing.
4.  To make the icing, beat icing sugar, butter and enough lemon juice to make a spreadable icing.  Top each cookie with frosting, and let sit until set.
From Taste of Home (I have Taste of Home Best Loved Cookies and Bars 2009)

I didn't take a lot of pictures.  This dough is pure white.  It's essentially a lemon shortbread, and a really good one at that.  The recipe suggested using a small glass to flatten the cookie, but I found all it did was stick to the glass, and then I had to peel it off.  My palm was better.  Hide the pecan half completely when you flatten the cookie.
These are rich, and not too sweet.  The pecan is a nice surprise.  Mom and I both enjoyed these.  And we even saved a couple for when J got home in the freezer.  Aren't we nice?

No comments:

Post a Comment