Background

Friday, April 10, 2015

Finally It's Spring! (Pasta)

So.
Have I mentioned how enamoured I am with PC Points?  Probably not.  I know I mentioned them on Facebook one night, and heard from friends who have saved them up as well.  J and I managed to save over $200 this past year in points.  We spent them once at the beginning of the summer to buy our supplies for a big summer kickoff BBQ.  The second time was the week before Christmas; where we stocked the larder with expensive things we don't buy very often as treats for the holidays.
One of the recipes I planned over the Christmas holiday (and I'm finally getting around to sharing) was what we had for brunch Christmas morning.
For Christmas this past year, J and I went to family Christmas with my dad's family Christmas Day, stayed overnight at my mom's, and then brought Mom back with us to the mountain.  We had our actual Christmas on the 27th, with presents and brunch and a big fancy dinner.  It's the advantage to no kids - you can open the presents any day you choose.
When I got my copy of the 2015 Milk calendar this year, I flipped through looking for things that I might like to make.  This was one of the things that caught my eye, which is weird because it has some things in it that I don't make or cook with very often.
I don't buy smoked salmon very often.  Frankly, I think this is the first time I've ever bought it.  My comment was that in this dish it almost tasted like bacon, which would be a good, cheaper option.  I also had the chance to try my hand at making poached eggs, something I'd never done before.  It was a lovely dish - especially in the winter when you're waiting for Spring.  Or now...when it's Spring...and you're waiting for...Spring.
I present to you now from the 2015 Milk Calendar Finally it's Spring Pasta:

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp white vinegar
4 eggs
10 oz spaghettini
1/2 lb asparagus, cut into 2" pieces
1 Tbsp butter
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1-1/2 c whipping cream
1 Tbsp lemon zest
5 oz. smoked salmon, cut into long thin strips

Method:
1.  In a small pot, bring water and vinegar to a simmer.  Crack an egg into a small bowl and slip into the water.  Simmer 3 minutes before removing with a slotted spoon.  Drain on paper towels.  They will stay warm while the rest cooks.
2.  In a large pot, cook spaghettini.  Halfway through cooking, add asparagus.
3.  Meanwhile, in a skillet melt butter and add green onions.  Cook until fragrant.  Add lemon zest and cream and stir.  Drain pasta and asparagus and return to the pot.  Pour cream mixture over pasta and toss over medium heat stirring to coat the pasta.   Stir in salmon.
4.  Serve, topped with a poached egg.

From 2015 Milk Calendar

I preach mise en place.  I usually practice mise en place.  This recipe demands mise en place.  I had stuff lined up and ready to go because everything in this recipe is last minute.  I had never poached eggs in simmering water before.  It's surprisingly simple.  I'm usually not big on runny yolks, but in this recipe, the creamy yolk with everything else is delicious.
And it's pretty on a plate.  Brunch, or a bite of spring is served!

No comments:

Post a Comment