Background

Monday, January 19, 2015

Souper Sunday: Creamy Tomato Tortellini

So.
Last week, I blogged a soup that contained 9 oz of cheese tortellini.  When I took my package out of the freezer, I discovered that 1/3 of the Costco tripack I was using was about 18 oz.  That meant I needed to make not one, but two tortellini soups to use up the package.  No matter.  We love soup around these parts.
Soup is an incredibly versatile meal.  When you make your own, it can be hearty enough to stand on its own as the entree, and can include all of your favourite food groups (and maybe a few of your not-so-favourite ones).  If you're me, you can also use it to sneak a meatless meal past your husband.
This soup isn't quite as hearty as last week's, but it's still tasty, and surprisingly quick to throw together.  Despite not having been to the grocery store, I managed to pull everything I needed out of my pantry, fridge and freezer.  Don't skimp on the higher fat dairy...this would be thin without it.  Or try replacing some with evaporated milk.  Mouth-feel is important.
I present to you now Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup:

Ingredients:
1-9 oz package cheese tortellini
2 cans condensed tomato soup, undiluted
2 c chicken broth
2 c milk
2 c half and half
1/2 c chopped oil-packed sundried tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 c shredded Parmesan cheese, plus cheese for garnish

Method:
1.  Cook tortellini according to package directions.  Drain well.
2.  In a Dutch oven, combine soup, broth, milk, cream, tomatoes and seasonings.  Heat through, stirring frequently, over medium heat.  Carefully add tortellini to soup, along with Parmesan cheese.  Stir well and serve, sprinkling each serving with additional cheese.

From Taste of Home Soups

This goes together quick.  So quick, I forgot to take pictures.  So quick, I neglected to add the sundried tomatoes, which would have been delicious.  But it's a delicious soup even without.  I made a loaf of pesto bread to round out the meal, and we all enjoyed.  I love it when that happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment