Background

Friday, November 14, 2014

Bride of Magazine Challenge: Crispy Oven Fries

So.
Sometimes I just don't know what to add to my meal plan that will be good for 1 night.
With so many things that I make feeding 4, we get 2 nights out of many meals.  But with all schedules, there's often 1 night in the week left over, and I don't know what to make.  It's at that point we whip out something really simple that if we don't get to it and go out, it won't really matter.
One of those simple, one night meals that we often rely on is broccoli, potatoes or a rice packet and grilled steak.
We buy our steak at Costco, and cut them in half when we repackage into smaller portions.  So a tray of steaks makes a whole lot more servings than the 3 that originally start on the tray at the store.  With the current decision to use up everything in the freezer (or a good portion thereof before defrosting), steak is definitely on the menu.
Usually, I make mashed potatoes because all I need to do is chop, boil and mash to make a side.  But when I saw this recipe in the October 2006 issue of Everyday food, I thought that they might be a nice change of pace.  I was right.  We loved them.  J has requested that I make them again sometime.
They're not for a quick night, but they're different.  I present to you now from the October 2006 issue of Everyday Food Crispy Oven Fries:

Ingredients:
2 Baking Potatoes, halved lengthwise and cut into wedges
2 Tbsp oil
3/4 c cornflake crumbs (from 2 c cornflakes, crushed)
1 Tbsp salt
1/4 tsp ground chipotle
Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 375F.  Brush a rimmed baking sheet with 1 Tbsp oil.  Mix together crumbs, salt and chipotle.
2.  In a large bowl, toss remaining oil with potato wedges.  Spread crumb mixture on a plate.  One by one, dredge all sides of wedges in the crumb mixture before placing on the baking sheet.
3.  Bake wedges for 40 minutes at 375 until golden and tender.

Adapted from Everyday Food, October 2006

I got about 10 wedges out of each potato.  After scrubbing, I sliced.  I hate peeling potatoes.

Ready for the oven!  I was afraid that all the crumbs would fall off during baking, but they didn't.  I was also afraid that there was too much salt, but neither of us found the fries overly salty.
Just a nice side for steak and broccoli.  The crunch was a pleasant change, and the chipotle made them slightest bit spicy.  We will need to make these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment