Background

Friday, August 22, 2014

Freezer Friendly: Baked Spaghetti

So.
It's been nice to have some unseasonable weather the past couple of weeks.  It's not good pool weather, but we've been out in the hot tub in the evening, and I seem to be making a variety of heavier foods that I can freeze.  Heavier food and hot weather don't really mix.
On the nights in between my freezer forays, I've been grilling and making things that are a little lighter.  But this week, the push is on before I return to work full time.  Bring on the unseasonably cold!  Then warm up on Friday for the BBQ Saturday!  One day, I will be able to control the weather, even if it's not today.
J and I both like spaghetti, and I've talked about making a batch of sauce for the freezer.  It's one of my go-to desperation meals around here...I always have pasta and a bottle or 2 of sauce in the house.  We also buy garlic bread at Costco so it's hiding in the freezer when we want some too.  When I got the Taste of Home freezer magazine, this recipe caught my eye because it looked like it made a ton and was so easy looking.  I also figured I could make it in 8" pans instead of a 9x13".  One to eat now, one to save in the freezer for a busy night.
I present to you now from Betty Rabe of Mahtomedi, MN via Taste of Home Baked Spaghetti:

Ingredients:
1 lb sausage
1 large onion, chopped
1-8oz can tomato sauce
1 bottle meatless pasta sauce
2 c mozzarella, shredded
1 lb spaghetti, broken into thirds
1 egg
1/2 c milk
1/2 tsp salt
Method:
1.  Butter 2 8" square pans.  Cook spaghetti to al dente, rinsing well with cool water when done.
2.  In a large bowl, beat egg, milk and salt.  Add cooked spaghetti, mixing well to coat (I used my hands).
3.  Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and onion until no longer pink and the onion is translucent.  Add tomato sauce and pasta sauce, heating through.
4.  Divide the spaghetti between the two pans.  Top with sauce.  (If freezing, cool completely and freeze at this stage).  Bake, covered, at 350F for 30 minutes.  Uncover, sprinkle with half the cheese, and bake an additional 10 minutes.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

From Taste of Home's Ultimate Meals from the Freezer

This is a rarity in our kitchen.  J cooked the sauce.  Normally, I don't have him help me in the kitchen.  But when he walked in today and offered to help, I found an extra set of hands helpful.

I only own 1 8" square pan!  J owned the glass dish as a part of a set before we got married.  They're freezer, oven, dishwasher and microwave safe; and we just pulled them out of the box that they've been in in the basement.  Because I don't always think, apparently.
Coming out of the oven.  This smelled so good.  We both liked the sausage as a change of pace.  Next time, I think I'd like something a little hotter.
What surprised me was how well it sliced and lifted out of the pan.  So good.  And another dish for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment