Background

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Bride of Magazine Challenge: Crunchy Ice Cream Loaf

So.
I'm climbing back on the wagon of the Magazine Challenge.  It's a little daunting to see the number of recipes that I've flagged as wanting to make compared to the number I've actually made. I'm hoping to stem that tide over the summer with a large number of recipes that hopefully will be keepers, even if I never get back to them again.
Now that the pool is open (the heater is fixed, and I am willing to go in...HOORAY!!) J and I are starting to invite friends over for a swim and a BBQ.  We need easy make-ahead items that can be served as we need them.  This dessert is a case in point.  It's not just passing around a plate of cookies, but it's still ice cream for a warm day.  Plus, I needed 6 cups of ice cream and bought a gallon so there was enough left over for ice cream cones for the kids who were suspicious of a dessert that they were going to have to eat with a fork.
Everyday Food claims that the dessert tastes like fried ice cream, and surprisingly they're right.  The crunch of the cornflakes and the hint of cinnamon are reminiscent of the fried delight from a Mexican restaurant.  I'd eat this again.  This took all of about 10 minutes to put together the night before.  I'd make it again too.
I present to you now from the July/August 2006 issue of Everyday Food Crunchy Ice Cream Loaf:

Ingredients:
1-1/2 c crushed cornflakes
2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 Tbsp honey
3 pints (6 cups) vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
Method:
1.  Sprinkle the inside of a loaf pan with water, and then line with plastic wrap in 2 sheets so that there is an overhang of 4-6" on all 4 sides of the pan.
2.  In a bowl, combine the cornflakes and cinnamon.  Spread half the mixture in the bottom of the loaf pan.  Drizzle the cornflake mixture with 2 Tbsp of the honey.  Top with half the ice cream and smooth before repeating the layers.
3.  Fold the plastic overhang over the ice cream and freeze until firm, at least 6 hours.  To serve, unfold the plastic wrap and invert onto a serving plate.  Peel off plastic and slice to serve.

From Everyday Food, July/Aug 2006 (Once again, you'll just have to trust me.  Martha's site doesn't have this recipe.  But I found *a* blogger who made this in 2009)

I love the smell of cinnamon.  Cinnamon coated cornflake crumbs smell delicious.  Just saying.
I had to melt my honey to put it in the loaf pan.  2 Tbsp was more than I realized when I started drizzling.  The honey became almost like toffee between the layers when this was done.
Not a great picture, but still a yummy dessert.  The adults liked it.  And this was all that was left.  We were outside, and I wasn't really thinking "I need a picture" when I was serving.  I was thinking "I want to go back and chat".  Because really, that's what summer is.  Good food, and good friends.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh interesting - I love fried ice cream! Another one to try ... someday. ;)

    ReplyDelete