Background

Friday, June 13, 2014

Bride of Magazine Challenge: Steak Quesadillas

So.
J and I are always up for a quick, yummy meal.  I don't like to cook on week nights, and save big showy recipes for weekend hobby cooking when I have large amounts of time to dirty every piece of cookware in my kitchen.  But Monday to Friday I need something fast and simple or we go out.
These quesadillas are perfect.  It seems like there's a lot of steps, but I discovered that there really weren't that many dishes in the sink when I was done, and they went together relatively quickly.  I shredded the cheese and sliced the onions while the steak cooked, and then I cleaned up while the quesadillas baked.  We got 3 quesadillas out of the recipe, and that was a nice sized meal for the two of us:  one and a half each.  I often buy my steaks at Costco and divide them into servings for the 2 of us.  I used one of those strip steaks for these.  With a little steak rub, they were delicious.
It's June, and I've already made a recipe from the June 2006 issue.  That's an all good thing, seeing as June is crazy.  But when things are like this, it's not hard to make things for us to eat during the week.
I present to you now from the June 2006 issue of Everyday Food, Steak Quesadillas:

Ingredients:
1- 8 oz strip steak
2 Tbsp steak rub
3 tsp oil
6 whole wheat tortillas (10")
1-1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
Salsa and Sour Cream for dipping

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 425F.  Rub steak and grill to rare (the steak will cook more in to quesadilla).  Let steak rest before slicing thinly.
2.  Brush one side of a tortilla with oil.  Place oil side down on a baking sheet.  Divide half the cheese between the three tortillas.  Top with sliced steak and onion.  Cover with another tortilla and brush with the remaining oil.
3.  Bake quesadillas at 425F for 5-7 minutes, until cheese and melted and hot.  Turn over during baking with a wide spatula.
4.  Slice quesadilla and serve with salsa and cour cream.

From Everyday Food, June 2006

I, of course, picked the package for tortillas that wasn't flat.  They were a little larger than my baking sheet, but I used it anyway and they were fine.  My steak is rare, but it cooked up more in the oven.  I took a picture before I added more cheese on top to make the top tortilla stick.
And then I took a picture just before we were ready to eat.  So easy, and so yummy.  We need to have these again!

2 comments:

  1. You have no idea how much I envy you the cooking at home especially after our vacation filled with crappy chain restaurants and ordering the least unappealing thing on the menu. Gah. I'm so ready to have my kitchen back!! Quesadillas are awesome though I never do much besides cheese and taco meat. I need to try these.

    ReplyDelete