Background

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Got Milk? Deep Dish Hot Fudge Brownie Cakes

So.
I got my next Secret Recipe Club assignment.  I wouldn't normally mention this, but in cruising the blog for June's post I clicked through and discovered this little gem.  So it's not like this is an early reveal...it's more of a thank you for introduction to a site that is after my own heart with recipes like this.
When J and I went on our honeymoon, we went on a cruise.  It's was super fun, and I ate a variety of foods that I either don't cook for myself, or that J doesn't like.  I had duck, chilled cherry soup, turkey...it was all good.  But one of the things that I remember about the cruise was that if I couldn't come up with a dessert, there was always lava cake to fall back on.
Chocolate lava cake is something I really like.  Between a dark cake and an oozy center, what's not to love?  This recipe combined both in individual servings that I put together in all of about 10 minutes.  Seriously dangerous for someone with chocolate chips in the cupboard and the end of a carton of whipping cream in the fridge.
I present to you now Chocolate Moosey's Deep Dish Hot Fudge Cakes:

Ingredients:
1/4 c butter
1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/2 c + 8 chocolate chunks
1 egg
1/3 c + 1 Tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 c flour
1/4 heavy cream
Method:1.  Preheat oven to 350F.  In a heatproof bowl, mix butter, chocolate and chocolate chunks.  Melt in microwave for 2 minutes on 40%.  Stir until smooth, and set aside.
2.  In a medium bowl, beat egg and 1/3 c of sugar until light.  Add chocolate and stir with a whisk to combine.  Stir in salt, vanilla and flour.
3.  Divide evenly between 2- 7oz ramekins.  Drop 4 chocolate chunks into the middle of each cake, and bake for 15-20 minutes, until tops of cakes are dry and cracked.
4.  Let cool for 15 to 20 minutes before topping with heavy cream whipped with 1 Tbsp sugar and serving warm.

From Chocolate Moosey

Here's the melted chocolate.  It was a super dark mixture, giving some idea of how wicked dark the cake itself was going to be.  It didn't really indicate how wicked rich this was going to be, but yum.
Ready to go in the oven!  The batter wasn't quite as thick as I expected either.  I could have pushed the chocolate chunks into the middle of the cake, but I thought they would sink.  But they didn't.  I don't think it mattered.
I didn't take a picture with the whipped cream melting into the cake.  But I did finish one of these with a big glass of milk!  They're rich, but delicious.  A once and a while dessert for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment