Background

Friday, May 16, 2014

Bride of Magazine Challenge: Breakfast Tacos

So.
One of my New Year's resolutions this year was to eat breakfast daily.  While it's a great resolution in theory, I am not good on the follow-through.  My mother was here last week, watched me drink a glass of juice, and asked if I was planning to eat anything else.  The quick answer was no.
Despite my lack of breakfast on weekdays, we do fare a little better around here on weekends.  After using 7 egg yolks to make the Pumpkin custards, I had a container of whites in the fridge to use up.  When I saw this in the May 2006 issue of Everyday Food, I knew that I could use the whites and a variety of other things that are staples in the kitchen here on the mountain.
J and I, as previously mentioned, love Mexican flavours.  We don't usually find breakfast type recipes with Mexican flair, but this is an easy one.  Make them as tacos for a weekend breakfast at home, or burritos for tailgating.  Either way works.
I present to you now from the May 2006 issue of Everyday Food, Breakfast Tacos:

Ingredients:
2 eggs
2 egg whites
2 green onions, chopped
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
4 Tbsp salsa
2 Tbsp sour cream
2-6" whole wheat tortillas
Method:
1.  In a skillet, melt butter and add green onions, stirring frequently until softened.  Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat eggs and whites until light.  Pour into skillet and scramble eggs with green onions.
2.  Heat tortillas and lay on a plate.  On one half of each tortilla, divide eggs evenly between the two.  Top with cheese, salsa and sour cream.  Serve immediately.

Adapted from Everyday Food, May 2006 (Once again, Martha has disavowed this recipe from her website. You're just going to have to trust me.)

I read an article recently that talked about the best scrambled eggs being made with butter.  These were really nice, especially with the addition of the green onions.
I layered everything up, and wondered if the tortilla was too small.
But it wasn't.  We had no problem picking these up.  And they were delicious.  Maybe not for everyday, but a nice breakfast for two!

1 comment:

  1. This was one of my mom's favorite breakfasts, with lots of avocado. :)

    ReplyDelete