Background

Friday, March 28, 2014

So Yummy: Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti

So.
During the March Break, J and I made a day trip.  We went to Buffalo to do a little shopping and eating.  While probably not the most exciting place in the world, I at least got to say that I went to a foreign country on my vacation.  The best part of the trip was, of course, the food.
J and I made our first trip to the Anchor Bar, birthplace of the Buffalo Chicken Wing.  Over a couple of orders of fresh wings and fries, we sat at the bar and watched Michigan play in the B1G Ten basketball tournament.  We both enjoyed the food and the atmosphere and want to go back.  I've been told the pizza is really good, but chances are I'll have the wings.
I was cruising Pinterest the other day, and saw this pin that my sister in law had pinned.  Upon reading the title to J, he was intrigued.  Obviously, we needed to try it.  Needed to.  My forays into Buffalo chicken in the past here at home have all been very successful  around these parts.  Things that involve carbs, cheese and chicken can't be wrong - in wonton, dip, cupcake, or in this case pasta form.
While I'd probably like the chicken shredded next time, the flavour in this was delicious.  Something new to add to the dinner rotation.  I present to you now Plain Chicken's Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti:


Ingredients:
2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped or shredded
8 oz cream cheese
1 c chicken broth
1 c bleu cheese salad dressing
1/2 c Frank's Red Hot Sauce
1/2 c cheddar cheese, shredded
8 oz whole wheat spaghetti

Method:
1.  In a medium saucepan, mix cheeses, salad dressing, hot sauce, and broth.  Heat over medium-low heat until cheese is melted.  Add chicken and heat until hot all the way through.
2.  In a second pot, cook spaghetti until al dente.  Drain and add to sauce, tossing to coat evenly and serve immediately.
Adapted from Plain Chicken

I had J cook the chicken for me while I was at work.  He used the indoor grill, which meant I chopped the breasts and put them in the sauce.  I think if I was home, I'd shred the chicken.  In some ways it would thicken up the sauce a little more.  Except chopped meant that you saw the chicken more than if I shredded it.  Personal preference, really.
Do you like the violent colour of the sauce?  Yeah, I was a little weirded out too.  Somehow it seems a lot more ORANGE when I'm planning to put it on pasta than when I'm planning to dip chips in it.
But I have to admit, it looks pretty darn tasty on chicken.  This had a nice kick, and lots of flavour.  J told me he's looking forward to when we have it again.  I'd say that's a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment