Background

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Got Milk Classic: Chocolate Chip Cookies

So.
J accused me of never making chocolate chip cookies - the only kind of cookies he really likes.  I have to admit, I don't really make cookies very often.  And frankly, when I make cookies I like to find ones I haven't made before and are different (case in point the Cheesecake Cookies).
Seeing as the plan was to make a whole bunch of new things over the break, I figured I'd appease J by making chocolate chip cookies.  No more accusations of not making things he likes.  For a while.
This recipe is the first cookie recipe I ever made.  It's my mom's recipe that was on a card in her yellow metal recipe box.  The other good thing about this recipe is it's really not that big a batch of cookies - I got 2 dozen cookies that are on the smaller size.  Smaller batch means more dessert soon.  I should obviously start looking for the next crazy cookie recipe to try.
I present to you now my mom's recipe for chocolate chip cookies:


Ingredients:
1/2 c butter
3/8 c sugar
3/8 c brown sugar
1 egg
1 c + 2Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c chocolate chips
1/3 c walnuts, chopped

Method:
1.  Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add egg.
2.  Gradually add dry ingredients, followed by nuts, vanilla and chocolate chips.
3.  Preheat oven to 400F.  Drop by tablespoonful on baking sheet.  Bake at 400F for 10 minutes, or until golden.
From My Mom's Recipe Box

Apparently, I don't use brown sugar a lot.  I ended up soaking my brown sugar bear and leaving it for 24 hours to soften up a bit.  I'm thinking that I'll need to soak it again soon to continuing the softening process. 
Here's the dough, ready to go.  Really, this is all the cookie dough of the recipe.  I told you.  Not a big recipe.  I also stirred the chocolate chips in with the Kitchen Aid.  I'm not sure I'd recommend doing this.  It crushes the chips.  So, stir in by hand, or don't stir long like me.
The recipe said to grease the baking sheet, but I didn't.  I did one pan on stoneware, and one on metal non-stick.  Neither stuck - it was actually a little more difficult to get the cookies off the stoneware - so greasing isn't necessary.  I used a regular spoon to drop the cookies on the sheet.  They don't spread too much because of the flour content. 
And here they are, coming out of the oven.  The chocolate chips are hiding.  But they smell good, and they taste like childhood - how can that be bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment