Background

Monday, February 3, 2014

Weeknight Dinner: Greek Marinated Chicken

So.
J and I both like the flavours used in Greek cooking.  Lemon, garlic, oregano, ouzo...saganaki...baklava.
While cruising Pinterest one night, I found this pin.  Not shockingly, I thought it looked delicious.  I was equally not shocked when I clicked through and discovered that it was from Budget Bytes.  How could it not be good?
With chicken drumsticks on sale at the grocery store, how could we not try this?  I present to you now Budget Bytes' Greek Marinated Chicken:


Ingredients:
1 c plain yogurt
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 tsp oregano
1 lemon, zested and squeezed for fresh juice (use 1-2 Tbsp, reserving the rest for another purpose)
Salt and pepper to taste
3-4 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces

Method:
1.  In a 1 gallon resealable bag, mix everything except the chicken and mix well.
2.  Add chicken pieces, seal the bag, and massage marinade into the chicken pieces.   Refrigerate in marinade for 30 minutes to an hour.
3.  Preheat oven to 375F, and bake chicken in a 9x13" pan for 45 to 60 minutes, until golden. 
From Budget Bytes

This is a dead simple recipe.  I always like making and using marinade in a resealable bag.  Those drums on the right?  $5 for 8.  That's 2 dinners here.  Remind me why we go out to eat when I stock my freezer with this sort of thing.
While you could make this with skinless pieces, The skin adds something.  Really.  If nothing else, it holds in more marinade.  Massage well, and then wait for the garlic to sink in.
I didn't shake much of the marinade off.  Why get rid of the flavour?
A word to the wise?  Make sure the ones you love eat this too so you can still kiss them.  There's a lot of garlic in the recipe.  If not, serve Clorets for dessert.  Or don't kiss those you love.  Your call, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment