Background

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Pintertest Kitchen: 45 Minute Dinner Rolls

So.
It's a while since I've done a Pintertest Kitchen.  It's not that I haven't been making things, I just don't post.  Pinterest is an ongoing source of things to make and enjoy.  While I do have a few other boards (Road Trip, anyone?), my Recipes to Try and Recipes I've Made are by far the busiest.
A little while ago, J and I made a batch of chili on a Sunday afternoon.  I was fairly certain that I had leftover rolls from something in the freezer.  I was wrong.  So very wrong.  With no time for a 3 hour loaf of bread in the bread machine,  and no cornmeal for cornbread, I turned to the genius of Pinterest to find me something that might work in a pinch.
Enter this pin:


I present to you now Crazy for Crust's 45 Minute Dinner Rolls:


Ingredients:
1 c warm water
1/3 c oil
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp yeast
1/2 tsp salt
3 c flour

Method:
1.  Place water, oil, sugar and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer.  Let stand 15 minutes until frothy.
2.  Add flour and salt.  Mix with dough hook until bowl is clean with the dough comes together.  Divide dough into 12 pieces and place in a greased 9x13" pan.
3.  Preheat oven to 400 F.  Let rolls rest 10 minutes in the pan.
4.  Bake at 400F for 10 minutes until golden.
From Crazy for Crust

I got to use the dough hook!  I'm always excited when I get to used the dough hook.  This was a surprisingly fast recipe.  I know these are 45 minute rolls, but still.
The first thing I thought when I read this recipe was 2 TABLESPOONS of yeast?  Really??  But yeah, really.  There's no way these aren't going to rise if your yeast is active.  And frankly, you'll know fast if it's not.
The dough is heavy.  It feels like bread dough, but heavy bread dough.  It's all the yeast, I'm sure.  But at this point, in for a penny....
They look like rolls.  They smell like rolls.  They taste like rolls.  These were better hot than room temperature.  I reheated the leftovers and ate them for breakfast with maple butter.  Frankly, they're made for maple butter.  My verdict, they were good and quick.  But I like lighter bread better.  But hey - to know I can whip up some rolls at the last minute is nice to know.  And something I'll probably need again.







No comments:

Post a Comment