Background

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Offbeat: Unsurpasta Pizza

So.
I realized recently that I hadn't made anything from Looneyspoons in a while.  We've been eating a lot of simple, quick prep meals recently as work has been crazy.  Meals have been things like baked ham, or burgers, or grilled chicken and veggies.  I made a stir fry one night with a bag of precut vegetables and chicken fillets.  My goal with J is to eat out not more than twice a week - usually on Friday or Saturday.
When looking through my fridge to see what needed to be used up from the week, I found a lot of little bits and pieces.  Then I found this recipe that would use up some of the leftover bits.  While it's not quite the original recipe, my inspiration is for sure the Looneyspoons version.  I just didn't like some of the vegetables, and had an agenda for things I was using up.
I present to you now the Oreos and Coolwhip version of Looneyspoons Unsurpasta Pizza:


Ingredients:
6 oz. uncooked whole wheat fettucine
1 egg
2 egg whites
1/4 c milk
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan Cheese
2 c broccoli florets, cut small and cooked
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/2 c pizza sauce
3 oz cooked ham, chopped
1/2 c shredded old cheddar cheese

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 F.  Cook fettucine according to package directions.  Rinse well with cold water.
2.  While the pasta is cooking, Whisk together egg, whites, milk and Parmesan cheese.  Add cooked pasta and mix to coat.
3.  Grease a 9" pie plate (or use your stoneware pan that needs no greasing).  Pour in pasta mixture and spread evenly.
4.  Spread pizza sauce over pasta, then top with onion, ham, broccoli and cheese.
5.  Bake pizza at 350F for 30 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Adapted from Looneyspoons

You know what I wish the Looneyspoons cookbook had?  Pictures.  This felt super made up as I went along.  Don't think this is pizza.  It's not.
I think results would be different with a regular pie plate.  I used my deep dish one, and it seemed, well, TALL.  I also didn't cut my broccoli small enough.  But it was interesting.
How can you go wrong with cheese?  I had some cheddar in the fridge that needed to be used up, so I didn't use mozzarella.  But with broccoli, old cheddar is good.
Here it is out of the oven.  I might cook a little less next time because the broccoli was a little browner than I would have liked.  But it smelled great, and looked fantastic.
Here's a slice on a plate.  Like I said, it's not pizza.  But the flavour is good.  I chopped leftover baked ham, and used up a jar of spaghetti sauce that was in the fridge.  It's filling and even better on night two.  So, pizza = no, but make again = yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment