Background

Monday, February 10, 2014

Game Food: Shredded Beef Sandwiches

So.
Last Sunday was the Superbowl.  It was a super snore of a game, but did give a chance to make some food that would be good for tailgating. 
J and I usually make chili for the Superbowl.  But having made chili a couple of weeks ago, we wanted something different.  I went through my Pinterest board and found this recipe for shredded beef sandwiches where the meat cooked for the entire afternoon and made enough for an army.  While it was just the two of us, we had hearty sandwiches that evening and the next day.  Then I froze enough for at least two more meals.  AND I saved the leftover juice from the meat to make gravy for another meal. 
Shredded beef - the gift that keeps on giving. 
I present to you now The Way to His Heart's Shredded (Drip) Beef Sandwiches:


Ingredients:
1.5 kg beef roast (with some marbling - I used an outside round roast)
1/4 c butter
1 large onion, sliced in half and then into thick slices
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c soy sauce
1 c Sherry
4 c water
Buttered Rolls
Sliced Provolone Cheese

Method:
1.  In a large Dutch Oven, melt butter and add onions, cooking over medium heat until starting to turn golden.
2.  Set roast on top of the onions.  Mix remaining ingredients through water and pour over the roast.  Cover and let simmer for 5-6 hours on low.
3.  When roast is done and tender, remove from liquid and shred with two forks, returning the meat to the Dutch Oven to simmer for 30 minutes longer.
4.  Serve on buttered rolls with provolone cheese.

From The Way to His Heart

J gave me this pot as a wedding gift.  I feel it was worth every cent.  I used the largest onion I had in the fridge to give something for the roast to rest on.
The roast wasn't quite covered, but it was close.  Just a little garlic left on top.  Then I covered it and left it alone for hours.
Hours later, this is what I found.  I pulled the roast out onto a plate, removed the string and shredded it.  I then returned everything on the plate (sans string) back to the pot.  Weirdly, I have no pictures of the shredding process or the shredded meat in the liquid.
But I do have a final product picture!  The meat was so hot it melted the cheese before we could eat.  It smelled so good while cooking, and the taste didn't disappoint.
I removed the meat with a slotted spoon to a casserole dish for storing, and poured the juices into a glass measure.  When the juices were cool, I skimmed and discarded the fat, and then froze them for another purpose.  Just as good the next night, and probably when we make sandwiches again using the meat I froze.

1 comment: