Background

Friday, November 22, 2013

Magazine Challenge: Sauteed Chicken and Spinach

So.
I'm always looking for quick dinners that are tasty and incorporate more vegetables.  I'm not good about eating vegetables.  J, on the other hand, is always ready to give them a go. 
One of the few vegetables that we agree upon is spinach.  The other is broccoli.  Go figure.  At least we both like something healthy.
I marked this recipe months ago as something I wanted to make.  I'm glad I finally got around to it.  I love warm salads.  I also like warm dressings.  This combined both of those things.  A quick, filling dinner for a week night.  Just what I want to find.  It was also a Cooking for One feature, so by doubling the recipe I got one night out of the recipe.  J and I like leftovers, but it's nice to have just one night's dinner sometimes too.
I present to you now from the March 2005 issue of Everyday Food, Sauteed Chicken and Spinach:


Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 Tbsp butter
2 shallots, minced
2 tsp white wine vinegar
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
5 oz. Baby spinach
2 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
1.  Season chicken with salt and pepper.  In a large skillet, heat oil.  Add chicken and cook until browned, 8-10 minutes.
2.  Add 1/3 c water, cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.  Transfer chicken to a plate and keep warm.
3.  To make the sauce, add the shallots to the same pan and cook, stirring occasionally until soft.  Stir in mustard and vinegar.  Cook briefly before adding butter and swirling pan until incorporated.  Stir in any accumulated juices from the chicken.
4.  Toss half the sauce with the spinach in a bowl.  Divide the spinach between two plates, top with chicken, and drizzle with remaining sauce.
Adapted from Everyday Food, March 2005

Leafy greens.  Yummy.  The dressing was delicious over this.  J often isn't a fan when I make dressings for salads at home, but he's getting better.  Recipes like this help.
The shallots I bought were enormous.  I did 2 anyway.  Shallots have a lovely flavour.  We liked them cooked in this.
Here's the dressing.  I used a grainy Dijon, which I really enjoy.  You could use a smooth traditional as well.  I think the seeds add interest.
With mashed potatoes, we had a quick meal.  I need to remember this when I'm trying to decide what to do with chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment