Background

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Magazine Challenge: Butter Pecan Pie

So.
My dad's favourite ice cream when we went to the local ice cream store was Butter Pecan.  Or maybe Maple Walnut.  But I would say that more often than not, he chose Butter Pecan.  My last memory of Dad and butter pecan is from his time in hospice, where he and my mother discovered Butter Pecan Ensure.  He was so happy to not be drinking chocolate, strawberry or vanilla Boost like he had been for the past year. 
When I saw this recipe in the July/August issue of Everyday Food, I found the crust interesting.  The filling was just for Dad.  I made this in the summer when my mom came to visit.  We all enjoyed it.  I think Dad would have too.
From the July/August 2005 issue of Everyday Food, I present to you now Butter Pecan Pie:


Ingredients:
2 oz. pecan meal
1/4 c white sugar
3/4 c flour
2 Tbsp butter
8 c softened butter pecan ice cream, softened
Caramel Sauce, for garnish

Method:
1.  Combine nuts, sugar, flour and butter in the bowl of a food processor until moist clumps form.  Press the crumbs into a 9" pie plate with the back of a spoon.  Freeze until firm.
2.  Preheat oven to 375F.  Prick the bottom of the pie crust and then bake until golden and fragrant, 20-25 minutes.  Let cool completely.
3.  Spread ice cream in the cooled crust, cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 6 hours.
4.  Serve with caramel sauce drizzle.
Adapted from July/August 2005 Everyday Food

Martha's recipe had you grind pecan halves to make meal.  I don't need to do that at my house.  I have a bag of pecan meal in my freezer.  It's a 1/2 cup of pecans she used.  I converted to weight using Convert-To.  It's a great site for conversions.  Here's my crust, ready to be filled.  It smelled so good baking.  Toasting nuts always smells good.
And here's the pie.  I actually bought a low-fat frozen yogurt.  It was delicious.  The pie itself was also very rich.  We got 8 servings out of it.  But good enough to make again.  Especially in summer.  Or to remember Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment