Background

Monday, July 8, 2013

Magazine Challenge: Vietnamese Steak Sandwiches

So.
You know what I've learned?  If I plan to make stuff for the Magazine Challenge, it goes better if I get to it fast and right after I've gone through the magazine to make my list.  I'm still excited at that point about what I've found.  I'm also more likely to remember that I was excited about it.  That's not because I'm going to be 40 this year, I just get excited about other recipes.  Really.
I think one of the things about the Magazine Challenge this year has been that we've tried things that we wouldn't otherwise try.  Often, I'd look at a recipe like this and wonder if we'd really like it.  Now, I've decided to go for it.  I'm glad I did.  This was lovely.
This is actually 2 recipes in one.  The July/Aug 2005 issue of Everyday Food is the grilling issue, which included steak recipes.  There are rubs and marinades for a variety of cuts of beef.  Then to go with the flank steak marinade, was a recipe for these sandwiches.  I would eat the carrot slaw alone for lunch.  True story.  It makes these sandwiches, which are filling.
I present to you now from the July/Aug 2005 EDF, Flank Steak with Lime Marinade in Vietnamese Steak Sandwiches:


For the Steak and Marinade:
Ingredients:
1/3 c fresh squeezed lime juice
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp minced ginger
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 lb flank steak

Method:
1.  In a resealable bag, combine all ingredients before adding steak.  Seal and let marinate in the refrigerate, turning occasionally. 
2.  Heat grill to high, and remove steak from the marinade.  Cook, turning meat once, to desired doneness.  Let meat rest 10 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain.
From July/August EDF, 2005

For the Sandwiches
Ingredients:
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp water
2 carrots, grated
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 sub rolls, split

Method:
1.  Stir together garlic, sugar, red pepper, oil, vinegar and water.  Add carrots and onions and toss.  Cover and refrigerate to marinate at least 1 hour.
2.  Split rolls and toast lightly if desired.  Divide carrot slaw betweeen the rolls, and layer with the grilled steak.  Drizzle residual dressing over the steak.
Adapted from July/Aug EDF, 2005

I wasn't thrilled with this marinade.  I expected the ginger to be more pronounced.  But Flank Steak is tough, so it needs something, and the lime juice tenderized it well.  We left the steak in the fridge for about 3 hours, and grilled to rare - which is what we like.
I had issues slicing thinly, but I used a 9x13 pan to contain the juices (I need a cutting board with a channel, obviously), so I don't know if it was just the awkward angle I was trying to cut on.
But what made this recipe was the carrots, IMHO.  I added sesame oil to the dressing to enhance the Southeast Asian feel of the recipe.  I also omitted the cilantro from the original because I hate cilantro.
I eyeballed the red pepper flakes, and I don't think I was heavy handed. 
But there was a nice, slow burn to the slaw.  Sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds, this would be a tasty lunch on its own.  So long as you didn't breathe on anyone afterwards.  I *might* have been heavy handed with the garlic.
But these are pretty too.  I essentially doubled the carrot in these for us.  It made for messy eating.  I think next time I would try and cut the steak thinner, and cut the long strips in half.  But yum. 
I sped this up by buying a bag of matchstick carrots.  I only used half the bag.  Obviously, I need to make these again, and soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment