Background

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Pintertest Kitchen: Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream

So.
It's finally Spring here.  I commented to J on the way back from a weekend away that it didn't feel like Spring because there were no buds on the trees.  I was driving home tonight and the trees have popped.  It was sunny and warm.  Our pool has been drained in preparation for a set of stairs to be installed along with a new liner.
Soon, it will be poolside dining time, people.  Things are exciting.
When I saw this pin, I knew I wanted to make it.  J loves blueberries, and I like ice cream.  It was also reason enough to crack out the ice cream maker and celebrate the budding trees.  Poolside dining.  If you can't do that, you might as well eat ice cream.
I present to you now La Famille Noire's Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream:


Ingredients:
1 c milk
1-1/2 c heavy cream
3/4 c sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
4 oz cream cheese
3 c blueberries

Method:
1.  Whisk together yolks, sugar, and vanilla.  Set aside and combine cream and milk in a heavy saucepan.  Cube cream cheese and let soften.
2.  Heat cream to boiling point, then pour a small amount into the sugar mixture to temper the eggs.  Add more cream to the eggs and stir before returning the egg mixture to the saucepan and the pan to the heat.
3.  Continue to cook the cream mixture until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon.  Stir constantly to keep from burning.  When thickened, remove from heat and stir in cream cheese.  Continue stirring until smooth.
4. Pour the custard into a container, cover, and refrigerate until fully cold.
5.  Process the mixture until doubled in size and is in the soft serve stage.  Pour into a freezeable container and add blueberries, folding to incorporate before putting in the freezer to finish ripening.
Adapted from La Famille Noire

I didn't take great process pictures.  I would suggest cutting the cream cheese smaller than I did.  I was also surprised that the sugar mixture was so non-liquid.  But you know, 2 yolks isn't a lot.
The custard cooked up easily, but the cheese...oh, the cheese.  It wouldn't melt.  Perhaps it was too cold, or perhaps I wasn't patient enough, but I ended up pouring the lumpy mixture into my Pampered Chef Batter Bowl and beating it on low with my hand beaters, praying that it wouldn't start to increase in size.(It didn't)
 So I think the custard was too thick the next day.  I set up my ice cream maker, and it turns out that I should have made the whole batch.  It would have fit in the ice cream maker.  But the thickness made me swear.  A lot.  Creatively.  The beater started jumping almost immediately.  So, at an incredibly early soft serve stage, I gave up and put it into Tupperware for the freezer.  The scrapings were amazing, and it made a tiny batch which will be good.  But I'm not thinking that I would mess with the recipe again.
Sigh.

Today, I'm totally Keeping up with the Johnsons in the Pintertest Kitchen.  You should too!!

3 comments:

  1. I sometimes swear when I bake, too. It's justified. I'm sorry it didn't work out so well. It sure does look delicious. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like such a good idea, but you're right, 2 egg yolks isn't a lot. The recipes I've found have had 5. Hopefully you'll be eating by the pool in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O my word that looks YUMMY no matter how it turned out. Though I had a recipe like that this weekend. TONS of work and such a disappointing result. Blech.

    ReplyDelete