Background

Monday, May 20, 2013

Grillmistress: New Toy!

So.
J and I got invited to a Customer Appreciation sale at one of the local appliance stores.  Really, We spent a pile of money with them last year on a new washer and dryer for the new house, so they invited us to come and spend more money. 
We obliged, and bought BBQ accessories.  Now we have a reason to grill.  Not that we needed a reason before, but still.  I have yet to take the grill wok for vegetables out of the box, but I opened this bad boy up today:
It's a 3 in 1 rack for grilling roasts, ribs and kebabs.  I think we discovered the problem with it today being a little large for the grill, but the double metal skewers are awesome.
I present to you now in honour of the 2-4 weekend how we christened the skewers:
Ingredients:
For the Marinade:
1/4 c olive oil
2 Tbsp dry sherry
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
2 cloves garlic, minced

For the Skewers:
1 lb lean steak, trimmed and cubed into 16 pieces
1 red pepper, seeded, cut into 12 chunks
1 small red onion, cut into 8 wedges

Method:
1.  Mix all ingredients for the marinade well before adding steak cubes.  Toss meat with marinade, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2.  Using 4 skewers, thread steak, pepper and onion alternately.  (We tried mushrooms, but the double threading put too much pressure on the mushroom and it would crack off.  I need to try some other way)
3.  Over a hot preheated grill, grill kebabs, turning halfway through.

I made the marinade up as I went along.  It was a bit of a riff off one I made for greek chicken, and a bit of what I saw when I opened the cupboard.  Yes, I have a bottle of cream sherry in my kitchen.  You wouldn't think so, would you?
I tossed the meat and put in the refrigerator for later.

I chopped the vegetables into large pieces.  J and I thought that the big mushrooms would be best, but the pressure from the 2 metal bars cracked them off the skewers.  I'm thinking we need to try smaller ones next time, and thread them on a single skewer.
Here they are, all done.  The rack didn't fit well on the grill, and we decided to take everything off the skewers in the kitchen so we wouldn't need to worry about touching the hot metal.  But they were delicious. 








We'll have more kebab adventure this summer, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment