Background

Monday, April 1, 2013

Magazine Challenge: Frosted Chocolate-Buttermilk Cupcakes

So.
January/February  of the magazine challenge didn't go very well.  I was busy, work was mental, and we lost J's dad.  Plus, I was trying to come up with 12 recipes from the issue to make.  I've come to the conclusion that it might not have been meant to be, but that doesn't mean I'm beat.  I've just been making recipes from Jan/Feb on an ongoing basis.  This recipe is a case in point.
Our home church does a sign up for snacks.  Every so often, I need to come up with something to take for an undetermined number of people (more than 5, hopefully less than 20) I saw this recipe and that it made 12, but figured it would be easy to double.  Thankfully it was.
The feature in the article was buttermilk, so I now have some.  Obviously, I'll need to make more recipes from the article.  I'm up to 5 from that issue.
I present to you now from the Jan/Feb 2005 issue of Everyday Food, Frosted Chocolate-Buttermilk Cupcakes:

Ingredients:
3/4 c flour
3/4 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tbsp Dutch-process cocoa
3 Tbsp butter, melted
6 Tbsp buttermilk
1 egg, plus 1 egg white

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 350F, and line 12 muffin tins with 12 cupcake liners.
2.  In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt.  Set aside.
3.  Combine 3 tablespoons hot water with the cocoa using an electric mixer to form a paste.  Add butter, buttermilk, egg and egg white; beating until combined.  Whisk in flour mixture until smooth.
4.  Spoon into prepared tins, and bake until firm, about 20 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
From Everyday Food Jan/Feb 2005

 These were easy and quick.  I made the double batch and baked them all at once.  The hot water and cocoa made for a deep, rich chocolate flavour.
I made a simple icing of cocoa, icing sugar, butter, vanilla and milk.  I even did a good job of estimating how much to make...I'm often a bit short or way too much.
But we all enjoyed them.  I'll have to find something new for next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment