Background

Monday, March 11, 2013

So Good: Orient Express Stirfry

So.
I haven't made anything from the Looneyspoons Collection in a while.  Between Pinterest and Everyday Food, when I've been cooking I've been busy.  But I was looking for something for this past week that was different, and I turned to my faithful flavourful cookbook.
The scary thing in this recipe is the sheer number of things that are in it.  I pulled everything out for a modified mise en place:  with everything on the counter so I didn't forget to put anything in.  J was shocked with all of the things piled on the counter.  He was afraid about how long it would take to put this together.
J was wrong.  This went together fast.  And it was really good.  I won't make this all the time because it is a lot of ingredients.  But I will make it again, because we really enjoyed it.
I present to you now the Looneyspoons Collection's Orient Express:


Ingredients:
12 oz whole wheat linguine
2 tsp oil
1 c roughly chopped onion
2 tsp minced garlic
1 c chicken broth
1/4 c each soy sauce and ketchup
3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp each lemon juice, sesame oil and minced gingerroot
2 tsp honey
1 tsp hot pepper sauce
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 c sliced cooked chicken breast
1-1/2 c broccoli florets
1 c thinly sliced red bell pepper
1 c julienne carrots

Method:
1.  Fill a pot with water, and prepare pasta according to directions.
2.  While the water comes to a boil, prepare the sauce.  Heat oil in a large skillet.  Add onions and garlic.  Cook until onions are translucent and soft.  Add broth, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, lemon juice, sesame oil, gingerroot, honey, hot pepper sauce and black pepper.  Mix well and bring to a boil.  Blend cornstarch with 2 Tbsp cold water.  Mix until smooth and add to the boiling sauce.  Cook until bubbly and thickened.
3.  Add chicken, broccoli, red pepper and carrots to sauce.  Mix well and cook until vegetables are tender-crisp.  Add linguine to skillet and toss until the pasta is evenly coated.  Serve hot.
From The Looneyspoons Collection
 
See what I said about crazy numbers of ingredients?  The travel mugs and mason jars at the back aren't included (I have small cupboards).  The ingredients are also not artistically arranged a la Pioneer Woman, but you get the idea.  Lots of stuff.  Still yummy.
I chopped as I went, and put things away from the sauce as I used it to make sure that I didn't miss an ingredient.  I almost missed the hot pepper sauce when I was typing the recipe in.  Take everything out.  Then you won't forget.
But here's what you get.  A spicy, filling meal that's even better the next day as leftovers.  J and I got 4 servings out of this which is what is listed, but we could have probably squeezed out a fifth. 
I oven poached my chicken so it was juicy, and sliced it thinly instead of chopping.  I felt it was visually more appealing and felt like larger pieces.  When I added the linguine to the pan, I tossed with tongs before serving.  The skillet was larger than the pot in which I cooked the pasta, so I needed a way to toss.
Stirfry.  Yum.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds good! I'm all about stirfrys. They are so quick and soooo tasty.

    ReplyDelete