Background

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Quick Lunch: Black Bean Quesadillas

So.
When I look at my Pinterest board of recipes to try, I seem to have inordinate amounts of Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes.  Well, that and dessert.  I commented to my mother today that I probably need to rearrange my boards into dessert and savoury or some such.  Right now when I go looking for things, I often have a hard time trying to find what I want.  And I know that it's *right there* somewhere.  A project for another day, perhaps.
Right.  But when I pinned this from Budget Bytes, I knew that they'd be good - everything I've made from Budget Bytes has been good.  I wasn't wrong.  I just wish I'd had enough tortillas in the freezer to make all of these up and freeze so they'd be ready to go.  After J, my mom and I ate lunch, I put the leftover filling into a container and popped it in the freezer for another day.  Seeing as you can freeze them made, I don't see why you couldn't freeze them as I did.
We're going to enjoy these during football season.  Frankly, we'll enjoy these the rest of the year too.  I'm not sure I can recommend them highly enough.  Plus, they're meatless.  That doesn't happen often around here.
I present to you now Budget Bytes Black Bean Quesadillas:


Ingredients:
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 red onion, finely diced
2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1 c frozen corn
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp taco seasoning
10- 6-inch whole wheat tortillas

Method:
1.  Combine all ingredients except tortillas in a bowl.  Mix well to combine and ensure that taco seasoning is throughout the mixture.
2.  Spread 1/2 c of the filling on half of a tortilla.  Fold over and cook in a dry skillet until cheese has melted, toasting both sides.  Serve with sour cream and salsa for dipping.
Adapted from Budget Bytes

Here's the filling.  The hardest part was dicing the onion, which really wasn't that hard.  The spoon became important for spreading the filling from side to side in the tortillas. 
Here it is toasting.  After putting a half cup of the filling on the tortilla, I spread it out with the spoon and held the tortilla closed until it was starting to toast and would stay shut on its own.  By the time it was ready to flip for toasting the second side, it would hold itself shut.
These were delicious.  My mother and I each ate one and a half, and J had two. They were surprisingly filling as well.  The taco seasoning added a good deal of kick.  Easy and delicious.  That's a win around here.

1 comment: