Background

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pintertest Kitchen: Candy Cane Ice Cream

So.
You know what I still have left from Christmas?
Snack food and candy.  I put these things away in a drawer, and out of sight, out of mind.  I believe there are still a couple of bags of peanuts, a bag of chip nuts, and a container of chocolate covered pretzels.  There's probably some gum and other stuff that was in stockings in the drawer too.  Out of sight, out of mind.
I also am not known for eating the candy canes that come attached to stuff.  I don't buy them to put on the tree, and I don't really eat them.  But I do get a few and they collect for a couple of years until I finally decide to try one and discover that humidity has leached in and the candy is soft and unappealing.  That didn't happen to this year's batch of canes, though.  I found this on Pinterest and pinned it immediately:
Here in Canada, Candy Cane Ice Cream is a way of life over the Christmas season.  We wait for President's Choice to issue their Insider's Report of seasonal goods to try and stock their stores with their ice cream version of crack, Candy Cane Fudge Crackle.  I think J and I ate our way through 2 tubs this year.  And then, as quickly as it arrived it's gone and we wait for next year.
There is no fudge crackle in this recipe, but my friends, we may have found a way to wait patiently for the next time that Galen Weston makes a seasonal rite available.  I present to you now The Way To His Heart's Candy Cane Ice Cream:


Ingredients:
4 c Half and Half
1 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp peppermint extract
1 c crushed candy canes

Method:
1.  Crush Candy Canes in a heavy duty plastic bag.  Don't make dust out of them, but no large pieces.  I found the ice cream softened them nicely.
2.  In a large bowl, stir together half and half, sugar, salt and extracts until sugar dissolves.
3.  Pour into your ice cream maker and process according to directions.  Add candy canes at the end of processing time.  Spoon into a container and freeze for at least 2 hours to complete the ripening process.
 From The Way to His Heart

These sat on my counter for a while before I got around to peeling and making ice cream.  One of them was a reindeer with googly eyes and purple antlers.  I used what I had on hand.  I doubt I had the full cup of candy canes when crushed.
This is what I ended up with when everything was peeled.  I took my rolling pin to the bag and crushed the candy as best I could.  First by pounding it, and then rolling with a good deal of force bearing down on the bag.  I stopped when I realized that there were small holes forming in the bag and I was coating the counter with candy dust.
Have I mentioned how much I love my ice cream maker?  I do.  I find it hypnotic to watch, and I love that I can control what goes into my ice cream.  I used half and half for this recipe, but depending on how rich or not so much you want, you can play with what's used.  I need to start looking for new recipes to try when it actually gets warm out.
This was lovely.  Not overpoweringly minty.  Nice crunch from the candy canes.  But I miss fudge crackle.

Today, I'm Keeping Up with the Johnsons!  You should too!


2 comments:

  1. This makes me really wish we got our ice cream maker from our registry...hoping there is one on sale so I can try a fun recipe like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My in laws got me the ice cream maker attachment for Christmas and I have been using it like crazy even though it's winter! This ice cream looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete