Background

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Souper Sunday: Black Bean Soup

So.
I ruined the magic of my blog for my mother this evening.  I told her that as I watch the potential storm brew out my patio doors and collect on the the top of the hot tub I was going to write 2 blog posts.  I blog in fits, really, based on when I make things.  I have a habit of new food weeks or weekends.  Fodder for days!  As a result, if I'm cooking a lot, we may have eaten what's showing up well before it's here.
Now I've ruined the magic for you too.  Ironically, this will post tomorrow.
But this past Sunday, I went looking for a new soup recipe to take for lunch this week.  I hauled out the same Taste of Home Soup magazine that I've used in the past with predictable results.
J and I are fans of Mexican flavours.  When I saw this recipe for Black Bean Soup, it was different from anything I'd ever made in the past that would need an immersion blender.  But that doesn't make it bad.  In fact, it's a really nice soup.
I present to you now Taste of Home's Black Bean Soup recipe from Mary Buhl of Duluth, Georgia:


Ingredients:
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tbsp oil
5-1/2 c chicken broth
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 c salsa
1 c cubed cooked chicken
1 c cooked long grain rice
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp ground cumin

Method:
1.  In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic until fragrant and translucent.  Stir in the remaining ingredients and heat through.
 From Taste of Home Heartwarming Soups 2008
This was perfect for a cold night.  J asked if there was going to be shredded cheese on top, and seemed a little disappointed that I said no until he tasted things.  Take my word for it.  The soup doesn't need cheese.
But the recipe does make a lot, and was even better the next day for both of our lunches.  Mmmmm...soup.

1 comment:

  1. That does look different. I, too, am used to the pureed variety, but chicken would be a nice change. I will have to try someday! :)

    ReplyDelete