Background

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Magazine Challenge: Sole with Lemon Butter Sauce

So.
I haven't been cooking much recently.  I think about it a lot.  Mostly while feeling guilty that I don't have time, that I'm not meeting the challenge I've set for myself, that I'm eating a whole lotta fries and drinking a whole lotta pop.  I have, however, made a few things recently and seem to be getting my groove back.  I hope so.  There are too many good things to make to spend all my time in restaurants.
Here is a case in point.  It's February, and I'm finally making the first recipe in my magazine challenge.  I am still looking for new ways to cook fish that are easy, and that J and I both like.  The beginning of the year EDFs are always the healthy magazines.  There are a couple of fish recipes that I want to try.  This one went together fast, and I would be willing to eat it again.  I also had never tried poaching before.  It was easy.
I present to you now EDF's Sole with Lemon Butter Sauce:


Ingredients:
1/2 c dry white wine
3-4 oz sole fillets (2 per person)
2 thin lemon slices per piece of fish
Salt and pepper
3 Tbsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp butter

Method
1.  Pour wine in a large, lidded skillet.  Fold each fillet in 3, season with salt and pepper, and top with 2 slices of lemon.
2.  Bring wine to a boil, reduce heat and cover.  Simmer gently until fish is opaque throughout, about 3 to 5 minutes.  Transfer to serving plates.
3.  Return liquid to a boil, cooking until reduced to about 1/3 of a cup.  Add lemon juice and whisk in butter.  Strain if desired and serve with the fish.
From Everyday Food, January/February 2005
I couldn't get my fish to fold into thirds, so I folded it in half.  That seemed to work.  The lemon slices covered it well either way.
Things cooked quickly.  The wine even reduced quickly.  It was a simple sauce to put together.  J and I both liked it even better on the broccoli I served with the fish.  It wasn't bad when it soaked into the rice as well.
I think J might have liked another piece of fish, but one was enough for me.  I was afraid things were undercooked, but it was cooked through in the 5 minutes.  It was a quick, easy dinner for a weeknight.  Plus, we had to open a bottle of wine to make it, so there was wine with the meal.  How can dinner be bad when there's wine?



No comments:

Post a Comment