Background

Friday, December 14, 2012

Soup for Sunday: Cream of Broccoli

So.
When I got the original Looneyspoons cookbook, the one recipe I really made was this soup.  While I do flip through the book from time to time, I've never made much out of it.  This soup, however, I've made for a while.  When I buy broccoli and then don't get around to cooking it as a side, this is how we use it up.  Neither J or I mind the leftovers for lunch the following week.
There is an updated recipe in The Looneyspoons Collection, but I read through it and decided to continue with the original recipe.  Just slightly different, and still including sour cream as a finisher.  But hot sauce.  It's all about the hot sauce.
I present to you now Looneyspoons It's Only Brocc'n Bowl:

Ingredients
1 c chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2-1/2 c chicken broth
3 c broccoli florets (I use the stems too...you'll see why)
1 c peeled, cubed potatoes
1/2 c low fat sour cream
3/4 c shredded cheddar cheese (they say low fat.  But that doesn't melt.  Or taste good.  anyone else wonder what's in it?)
1/2 tsp each ground thyme, black pepper and Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp salt
4-5 dashes of hot pepper sauce

Method
1.  In a small amount of oil, cook and stir onions and garlic over medium high heat until the onions begin to soften.  Add broth, broccoli, and potatoes.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until potatoes are tender. 
2.  When potatoes and broccoli is tender, transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender.  Add sour cream, cheese, and seasonings.  Stir until smooth.  Serve immediately.
Adapted from the now out of print Looneyspoons.

I do a few things different from the original.  I puree the whole soup smooth.  No lumps, just velvety loveliness.  There is a warning that if you're reheating, don't let it boil because the sour cream can curdle.  I've never had that happen, but I'm sure it could. 
And then we sprinkle a little more cheese on top.  How could that be bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment