Background

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Healthy Snack: Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Muffins

So.
One of the things we got after Dad's death was a "Sunshine" basket from the church that J and I used to attend.  There were cookies, nuts, assorted snacks, and fruit.  While we consumed the snacks and such with little difficulty, the fruit selection left something to be desired.  Neither of us like pears, I'm indifferent to apples, and there were 4 bananas.
J sometimes goes on a health kick where he decides that he should eat bananas because they're good for him despite the fact he doesn't like them.  I told him not to eat the bananas and I would make muffins out of them.  I thought about making Monkey Muffins again because they're amazing, but I ended up finding this recipe and deciding to make something new.
I present to you now Looneyspoons Bananaberry Bombs:


Ingredients:
1 c quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 c each all-purpose and whole wheat flour
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c wheat germ
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 c mashed ripe banana (about 3 large or 4 small)
1/4 c butter, melted
1 egg
1 c fresh or frozen blueberries

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 375 F, and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners
2.  Combine oats, flours, sugar, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.  Mix well and set aside.
3.  In a medium bowl, whisk together bananas, butter and egg.  Add banana mixture to flour mixture and stir until just moistened.  Fold in blueberries.
4.  Divide batter between 12 muffin cups, and bake for 20 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack.
From The Looneyspoons Collection

So here's my batter.  It was pretty thick, but went together fast and filled 12 muffin cups as I expected.  I hate recipes that make way more or (more than likely) way less than you expect.
These baked up beautifully, and have been a great addition to my lunch.  They also freeze well when you realize you're the only person eating the muffins you made a couple of days ago.  Sigh.


2 comments: