Background

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Weeknight Dinner: Lemony Tortellini with Peas and Prosciutto

So.
J asks me to make this dish.  Like, a lot.  I don't really get it, despite the fact that I make it from time to time because it's simple, filling, and quick.  It's not that I don't enjoy this, it's just that there are other good things to make.  But when J asked a couple of weeks ago if I'd make this, I bought the ingredients.  Last night, I made it again and found it so much more better than I remembered.
Maybe my tastebuds have changed, maybe I'm at a different place in my life and so I like different things, or maybe my food rut has finally reached a point that I enjoyed the new and different flavour.
Either way, I present to you now Everyday Food's Lemony Tortellini with Peas and Prosciutto:

Ingredients:

Coarse salt and ground pepper
1-1/2 pounds frozen cheese tortellini
10 oz frozen peas
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 oz thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp lemon zest, plus 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

Method:

  1. In a large pot of boiling, cook tortellini. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water. Add peas to pot; drain pasta mixture, and set aside.
  2. In the same pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil and add prosciutto and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until browned.
  3. Add pasta and peas, pasta water, 1 tablespoon oil, lemon zest and juice; toss to combine.
 From Everyday Food, March 2009

 Here is how I made the recipe more healthy:  Whole wheat 5 cheese tortellini.  I'm not a huge fan of working with fresh pasta. It often seems soggy.  Perhaps I overcook it.  But, whatever.  This came out beautifully.  Perhaps I need to stick with whole wheat noodles.

I also didn't add the extra pasta water.  I didn't see the point.  I also find that the prosciutto doesn't crisp as I'd like.  But it is tasty, and with the fresh lemon zest it was lovely with garlic bread for a quick dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment