Background

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Pintertest Kitchen: Peach Sorbet

So.
While I am a big fan of fruit, J is not so much.  Every year, I buy a basket of peaches at the farmer's market because I can't resist.  Then, I realize that I can't possibly eat an entire basket of peaches myself before I've made a habitat for mold on my counter, and I end up making peach cobbler, a dessert that J will tolerate.  I like it the first day when it's still warm, but after that...eh...not as much.  So I put it in the microwave and reheat it a bit to pretend that it just came out of the oven.  This year, after I made peach cobbler (a recipe for another time), I still had 7 peaches left in the basket.  I turned to the recipes I pinned to use up the rest of these gems before I lost the mold battle.
This is what I picked:
I present to you now Peach Sorbet:


Ingredients:
2/3 c sugar
1 c water
2-1/2 lb. ripe peaches, peeled, halved and pitted
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp lemon zest

Method:
1.  Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Continue boiling the mixture for 4 minutes. Add the peaches to the boiling simple syrup and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
2.  Remove the peaches and sugar syrup from the heat, stir the lemon juice and zest, and allow it to cool at room temperature. Puree the mixture until it is smooth with an immersion blender.
3.  Allow the peach puree to cool and then freeze it in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
From About.com

I did what the recipe said, and halved the peaches.  Honestly, you could slice smaller.  Mine were ripe enough that they came apart easily.
When a little cooler, you may want to put them into a container with higher sides before having fun with your immersion blender so you don't get it all over your white shirt, your shorts, and the front of the bowl of your Kitchen Aid Mixer.  Or so I've heard.
I actually had lemons, so I cracked out the microplane and zested a lemon.  I had forgotten what a fantastic job it would do.  I now have a container of zest in the freezer for future recipes...and a hankering to buy more lemons.  I also didn't measure the lemon juice I added, just juiced the whole thing and poured it in.
It tasted like an amazing peach popsicle in a bowl.  So good!  The lemon shone through.  I am hoping that J didn't like the bowl I brought him tonight.  More for me.

I'm Keeping Up with the Johnsons in the Pintertest Kitchen!  Why don't you?



1 comment:

  1. THIS LOOKS AMAZING. And refreshing. And I need it now. Sorry about your shorts.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete