Background

Monday, August 20, 2012

Healthy Brunch: Breakfast Egg Pitas

So.
We're on the healthy eating trail.  I keep pushing the Choice Menus book on J, simply because there's a great deal of variety and a good deal of food in each menu.  A couple of weeks ago, J had a doctor's appointment at 1:15 that was about an hour away from home.  I convinced him that brunch was the answer!  We had breakfast at 10, with protein to keep us going until we got home.
I present to you now the centrepiece of this menu, Breakfast Egg Pitas:

Ingredients:
1/2 tsp butter or margarine
1 green onion, chopped
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp dillweed
Pinch salt and pepper
1-6" whole wheat pita bread rounds, split in half
4 lettuce leaves
4 tsp salsa

Method:
1.  In a non-stick skillet, melt margarine on medium heat.  Add onion and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. 
2.  Combine eggs and seasonings.  Add to skillet.  Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 or 4 minutes or until eggs are set.
3.  Line pita halves with lettuce leaves.  Divide cooked egg among two pitas halves.  Top each pita with 2 tsp salsa.
From Choice Menus.

This was an excuse for me to make pitas again.  They weren't quite as successful as my first batch.  I think I used too much flour.  But with the filling, they weren't tough.  I bought a really nice leaf lettuce to line the pitas.  I used 2 leaves - one in each direction to keep things from leaking.
The original recipe made 4 pitas.  I halved this for one meal and made a few modifications.  So, 2 eggs, no mushrooms (because I don't like them), a full onion, and no cheese because we'd run out.  We didn't miss it.  We also probably used more salsa than was called for.  So good.
This menu was 2 small kiwi, 2/3 c bran flakes, 1/2 c low fat milk and 1 Breakfast Egg Pita.  It was enough to keep us going for a good long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment