Background

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A Treat to Share: S'more Cookies

So.
We went to the cottage with my parents in July.  While my father has lost his appetite as a side effect of his cancer, the rest of us did not suffer the same fate.  Mom and I planned a general menu, and we each brought half of the food.  Not shockingly, I brought most of the meat out of my stores in the freezer.  Somehow, we really didn't think about dessert.
Dessert is a hugely important part of meals with my family.  My mother is not done a meal until there is dessert.  It can be a piece of fruit, or a cookie; but there has to be something.  I took these with me to the cottage.  The three of us who were eating powered through the tin over the course of the week.  I've taken them to potlucks, and girls nights.  They always disappear.
While J will tell you that you need 2, I find one to be quite sufficient.  From the July/August 2009 issue of Everday Food, I present to you now S'more Cookies:


Ingredients:
1/2 c rolled oats
1 c all-purpose flour
1 c whole-wheat flour
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c butter, softened
3/4 c brown sugar
1 large egg
8 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into 30 squares
15 large marshmallows, halved horizontally

Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a food processor, pulse oats until finely ground. Add flours, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; pulse to combine. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, scraping down sides of bowl. With mixer on low, beat in flour mixture just until combined.
  2. Drop dough by tablespoons, 1 inch apart, onto two baking sheets. Top each with a chocolate square. Bake just until lightly golden, 11 to 13 minutes. Remove sheets from oven; heat broiler. Top each cookie with a marshmallow. One sheet at a time, broil until marshmallows are lightly browned, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.
 From Everyday Food, Jul/Aug 2009

These cookies don't really spread, and they're pretty big to try and take a bite to get all cookie, marshmallow and chocolate at once.  Sometimes, the cookie kind of crumbles on you around the chocolate.  I find I eat the toasted marshmallow off the top, then the cookie down both sides, and the chocolate and cookie in 2 bites.  But I'm weird like that.
They're really cute, and as Martha would tell us, they're a good thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment