Background

Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Meal to Share: Zesty Chicken Roll Ups

So, friends of ours from our Home Church had a baby last Sunday.  Yay!!  And, as usual when something happens in the life of our group, there is a request for food for the family.  As someone who has been on the receiving end of meals when you just don't have the time/energy/hands to do so, I like to be able to send something.  Frankly, I like to be able to send all the components of a meal.  When I had a broken wrist, I appreciated the soup, but I appreciated the people who sent not just an entree but salad and dessert as well.  Unfortunately, I don't have time to make dessert.  But I'm hoping to send a salad to go with this.
An even better bonus from this recipe? It makes 2 pans:  one to share, and one for Wednesday night when I get home from guitar late.  J can put this in.  Finally, I'm in the process of cleaning out the freezer.  This will use up the cooked chicken and small tortillas that are lurking in the bottom of the basket in the bottom of the fridge.  I present to you from Kraft What's Cooking Zesty Chicken Tortilla Rollups:

Ingredients:

1/2 c Miracle Whip Dressing
1/2 c flour
3 c milk
2 c Shredded Cheese, divided
1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 c salsa
16 small flour tortillas

Method:

1.  Heat oven to 375F.
2.  Mix dressing and flour in medium saucepan until well blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to boil on medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened. Add 1 cup cheese; cook until melted, stirring constantly. Reserve 1 cup sauce.
3.  Stir chicken and salsa into remaining sauce; spoon 1/3 cup down centre of each tortilla. Roll up. Place 8 roll-ups, seam-sides down, in each of 2 (13x9-inch) baking dishes sprayed with cooking spray; top with reserved sauce and remaining cheese.
4.  Bake 25 min. or until heated through.
Note:
Bake both casseroles as directed. Enjoy one and let the other one cool. Wrap cooled casserole tightly; freeze up to 2 months. When ready to serve, thaw frozen casserole overnight in refrigerator. Then bake, uncovered, 45 min. or until heated through.

From Kraft Canada
 
Here are the 2 pans, assembled and ready to be refrigerated.  The foil pan at the bottom is for my friends.  The glass pan with the pinkish sauce is ours.  The recipe says to reserve a cup of the sauce to pour over, which I did.  Then I added the salsa and chicken.  In assembling the rollups, I decided that really, the cup of sauce would be enough for one pan, and that there was enough sauce that the chicken was floating in to use over the second pan, which is what I ultimately did.
J likes these more than I do.  I'm not huge on cream sauces.  But they're different, and have good flavour.  You can freeze them, and they're pretty forgiving as far as assembly.
Everyone needs a meal that they can send to a friend that isn't lasagna.

No comments:

Post a Comment