Background

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Avocado and Goat Cheese Crostini

For March Break 2006, I went to San Fransisco and went to cooking school for a week.  If you're a foodie, I highly recommend the experience.  If you're not sure where to go, may I recommend Tante Marie's Cooking School ?  Located in San Fransisco, I spent 5 glorious days learning about Mediterranean Cooking, wine, cheese, and how to clean your own squid.
I came home armed with a folder full of recipes, 2 of which I've made since.  It's really very sad.  There were so many good things every day...and I never think about making them.  Until I do something ridiculous like last week.
In making the chicken avocado tostadas that became wraps, I forgot that I purchased an avocado until the meal was over.  Avocados are not one of my favourite things, nor are they J's.  But when I have an avocado, this is a recipe that springs to mind as something I like, and make from time to time.
My instructor for the week in San Fransisco was Jessica Lasky, and I see that she's a caterer in the Bay area still, but I'm not sure she's still teaching for Tante Marie's.  The book cited on the recipe is Panini, Bruschetta, Crostini by Viana La Place.  I love this recipe.  It tastes like Spring.


Ingredients:
1 ripe avocado
5.5 oz goat cheese, softened to room temperature
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
24 thin rounds of baguette
extra virgin olive oil for the bread

Method:
1. Pit and peel the avocado.  Place in a bowl and mash until smooth.  Add the goat cheese and drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.  Use a fork to mash the ingredients together, stopping before the goat cheese and avocado are completely blended.  Taste and correct seasonings.
2.  Brush bread on one side with olive oil and arrange on a baking tray with olive oil side up.  bake in a 350 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes until crisp but not hard-toasted all the way through.  Mound a little avocado cheese mixture on each piece of bread.

I was going to make this...but then I opened my avocado and discovered that I couldn't use it, what with the mold and all.  Sigh.  I'll have to post what I actually made later.

1 comment:

  1. I love goat cheese and avocado perhaps more than is healthy. To serve them together, on bread! This might just be the perfect food.

    ReplyDelete